Have you noticed strands of hair on your comb or down the drain when you wash your hair? Is this stressing you out? Stop and take a deep breath right now as stress will only worsen the situation. It is in fact, a major cause of hair fall.
According to hair experts, losing 50-100 strands of hair every day is fairly normal. It is only a cause of concern when you lose more than that. But you can stop hair fall in its tracks with these simple home remedies. Here’s how you can make them.
1. Onion juice
Onion is a rich source of sulphur which helps in hair growth by increasing collagen production. Using its juice on the scalp can help in controlling hair fall.
- Chop one onion finely and squeeze out its juice.
- Apply the juice on your scalp and let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Now rinse with a mild shampoo and let your hair air dry.
- Use this twice a week to see results.
Like onion, garlic too has high sulphur content. This is the reason why it is used in traditional hair regrowth medicines.
- Crush a few cloves of garlic.
- Add coconut oil to it and boil the mixture for a few minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit and then massage it on your scalp.
- You can leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Do this two times in a week.
This ingredient has several benefits for your hair. Not only does it promote hair growth, but also conditions it. It has essential fats, minerals and proteins which reduce hair breakage. Coconut is rich in potassium and iron. You can use coconut oil or milk to prevent hair fall.
- Warm a bit of coconut oil and massage it from your hair root to tip.
- Wash after one hour.
- Or, grate a coconut and squeeze out its milk by mixing in a little water.
- Apply it on the area where you notice thinning or balding.
- Let it stay overnight and wash off the next morning.
It is mostly used as a natural hair colour or conditioner but henna has properties that can strengthen your hair from the root. If you combine it with other ingredients, it makes for a better hair pack.
- Take 250 ml of mustard oil in a tin can and add 60g of washed and dried henna leaves.
- Now boil the mixture the leaves burn and then filter the oil.
- Massage your scalp with it on a regular basis and store the rest in an airtight bottle.
- You can make another henna pack by mixing dry henna powder with curd.
- Apply it on scalp and hair and wash off after one hour.
Also called shoe flower, hibiscus nourishes hair, prevents premature greying, treats dandruff and also controls hair fall.
- Crush a few flowers and mix sesame or coconut oil to make a paste.
- Apply on the scalp and hair and leave it on for a few hours.
- Rinse off with cold water using a mild shampoo.
6. Amla or Indian gooseberry
For people suffering from hair fall, amla or the Indian gooseberry is a blessing. It is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants that can reverse hair loss if it is in its initial stage.
- Use either amla juice or powder and mix it with lemon juice.
- Apply it on the scalp and leave it to dry.
- Rinse hair using lukewarm water.
Egg has several ingredients that can prevent or control hair fall. It is a rich source of sulphur and ahs phosphorous, selenium, iodine, zinc and protein. All these promote hair growth.
- Take the white of one egg and mix in a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Beat to give a paste-like consistency and apply to the entire scalp and hair.
- Keep it on for about 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse with cool water and a mild shampoo.